Sunday, August 29, 2010

4 Sacred Decorum

Raising femininity to heavenly heights.

This chapter might be a little tough for some. And I think that's because most of us like the idea of community and accountability but when it comes to someone questioning our lifestyle, we quickly become defensive. Well at least I do.

"Tell me in the light of the Cross, isn't it a scandal that you and I live as we do?" -Alan Redpath

Leslie quotes John 14:21 and reminds us that if we feel far away from God, its most likely because we are not building our existence around him. (pg68) To me the whole chapter is Leslie saying "You want to have a relationship with Christ? Then how are you living your life? What are you watching? How are you acting? Where are you spending your time?" Pretty much all the questions I don't want to answer.

But really, they are very serious questions especially for those who desire a different life.

"The sacred decorum of a Set-apart young woman might be labeled extreme and unnecessary to others, even other Christians"(pg70) I have a question for you ladies. Since you've began reading this book, have you battled any fears of other peoples opinions? Have any of you girls shared with anyone what you've been reading? Remember as we get specific, and I mean lifestyle changes, the enemy is going to do anything to turn us off this great path and a big weapon will be fear that takes us off the path. You know, the narrow one that few find?! Recently, I was in a situation where a group of us("Christians") were ministering to a community that we had been living with. At one of our community nights, we all got together to cook, play games and play music. One night the leaders of our group put on 'non-christian' music. Now, I don't listen to music where every song says the name Jesus, but these songs they were playing were just inappropriate and so far from the message we were trying to bring. I sat there with knots in my stomach almost the whole evening, but because I was afraid of what people would think I didn't say anything. I mean, what do you say when the majority of your friends, most of them leaders, are singing along to their favorite songs(which so happened to talk about sex and going to rehab with guns shooting off in the background), smiling and just having a good time? I didn't want to be the party pooper. *sigh*

So first, What are you watching? WAIT! Before I write anything else, lets all turn to page 79.
"So just to clarify-I do not believe that all movies are evil... And I do not believe that watching a movie is sinful..." Ok, just need to make sure we all understand that. And that goes for music, looking nice, buying new things, using the internet and i don't know, eating McDonald's. Its like the verse that says where your treasure is there your heart will be also. Its idols and time, its where you find your rest and security. Is it in the Lord or in the Kardashain's(they need prayer too by the way)? Please, answer the questions honestly. God can work with an honest heart.


I had a great conversation with one of the girls from the group. She shared with me that she was in a movie a few nights ago and for the first time in a long time felt a knot in her stomach regarding what she was watching. I was able to relate with her saying that the more I was asking God to reveal himself to me the more He was revealing Himself to me, hmm interesting that God would do that! ;)

The questions at the end of this chapter I recommend you girls spend sometime seriously answering them. But don't get very worked up about this part. Yes it can be overwhelming and in some ways make you angry but if your heart is after Christ then it will work out. BECAUSE, He will not fail you. So if you ask 'Lord show me areas in my life that are not pleasing to You', He absolutely will show you. King David cried out to the Lord saying

'Search me oh God and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!' -Psalm 139:23-24


What a perfect prayer. Lord let that be our hearts from now on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment